Bridge to the Doctorate
| |The Bridge-to-the-Doctorate Program (BDP) is an NSF initiative within the LSAMP Program to provide former LSAMP baccalaureate degree graduates with a fellowship for graduate studies. The ultimate goal is to increase the number of minority students that obtains a PhD degree in a STEM field.
The program is aimed at increasing the quality and quantity of students successfully completing science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) baccalaureate degree programs, and increasing the number of students interested in, academically qualified for and matriculated into programs of graduate study. LSAMP supports sustained and comprehensive approaches that facilitate achievement of the long-term goal of increasing the number of students who earn doctorates in STEM fields, particularly those from populations underrepresented in STEM fields. The program goals are accomplished through the formation of alliances. The Bridge to Doctorate provides support for eligible students from schools in the NYC-LSAMP alliance to pursue a Ph.D in Science, Mathematics, Engineering or Technology. Students will receive a $30,000 stipend along with full remission of tuition and fees during their first two years.
THE PROGRAM OFFERS:
- Full Graduate Tuition & Fees
- Mentoring Program
- Conference and Research Travel Opportunities
- Seminars and Workshops
- Graduate and Professional Student Associations
- Research Opportunity in Interdisciplinary Areas
- Academic Enrichment
- Diverse and Interactive Community
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Must have participated directly or indirectly in the LSAMP Program at the undergraduate level and must provide certification of this participation.
- Must be a first time graduate student.
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Plan to pursue a Masters, then Doctoral Degree in a STEM discipline.